Since September 2010, students in Year 8 have embarked upon a three year KS4 programme and have therefore begun their GCSE courses in Year 9. Please see the documents at the foot of the page for the detailed guidance given to Year 8 parents and students.
We feel that this move has extended the educational experience of our students by:
- WIDENING their perspective of the subjects they have chosen by allowing greater opportunities for learning outside of the prescribed syllabus content.
- DEEPENING their understanding of the material covered which is required for success in their GCSE examination.
- BROADENING their generic skills through greater opportunities to improve research, team-working, problem solving, analysis and evaluation skills, all of which are crucial for the world of work.
We are also confident that this approach will increase your son’s enjoyment of lessons, and of school, by enabling him to pursue a more personalised curriculum from an earlier age.
The Core Curriculum
All students in Year 9 follow a common core which comprises:
- English (4 hrs per week);
- Maths (4 hrs per week);
- RE (3 hrs per week);
- PSHE (1 'floating' hr per week);
- PE: Health & Fitness (1 hr per week)
Science is also part of the core curriculum. We allocate 4 hrs per week to the study of Science but this will vary slightly depending on the Science course followed:
Triple Science: comprising 3 separate GCSEs in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (6 hrs per week).
Combined Science: comprising Core and Additional Science, each of which contains elements of Physics, Chemistry and Biology but which combine to give 2 X GCSEs.
Students select from the following options to total between 8 and 10 GCSEs:
- Computer Science
- Food Nutrition And Preparation
- Learning Support
- Product Design